Re: FC5 and WinXP

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 16:59 -0600, Russell Golden wrote:
> Has anyone tested whether Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP can be on the
> same disk? I know you can't do it with FC4.

It was, and is, easy to do with FC4.  I have done it several times.
I would expect the same with FC5, but I have not done it myself yet.

You have 2 choices to make that work.
1. install XP into a smaller partition than the drive, leaving space for
the FC install.  Then do the FC install and tell it to use the XP
install as another bootable os.

2.  if XP already exists on the drive and is using the entire physical
drive you need to do several steps, including a defragmentation of XP
before you start anything else.  Then use something like Partiton Magic
to resize the windows partition smaller to allow space for the FC
install, and install FC like in 1 above.

As long as you tell grub to install the XP os into it's config during
the install it works well.
You also can manually add XP into the grub.conf later and make it work
as well.