strange error: "Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot open SCSI driver" (Fedora Core 4)

Hello,
I am using Fedora Core 4.
I am following the instructions on http://dvd.chevelless230.com/
I reach the final stage , when I try to burn an iso file.

running cdrecord -scanbus , shows that my dvd burner is in 1,0,0

when I run:  dvdrecord -V -dao speed=2 dev=1,0,0 myfile.iso
and I get
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.

googling for "cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
character. Cannot open SCSI driver." gives 0 results (you can test
it).
When googling for the error itself ("Invalid or incomplete multibyte
or wide characte") I get some results , but I couldn't trace them to
the problem I had.

Any idea?
Regards,
John