Re: system startup + cryptsetup

Gabor Walter wrote:

Thanks to everyone for offering help, my system is now running fine.
A couple of notes in case somebody might find them useful:
1. grub.conf needs editing, that is I had to remove the rhgb option
2. selinux seemed to be complaining so I disabled that
3. the luksopen script from the url in my original posting might have a bug
in it (I am not much of a shell script guru) because when it reaches the
point where it attempts to open and mount the encrypted partitions, it will
just skip them even if I press 'y'. So I commented that out and explicitly
inserted the appropriate commands.

Gabor Walter
Hungary

There is an error in the script involving the 'read' statement, where he is prompting for the open and mount Y/N response (pardon the line wrapping here):

# ask whether to open the device or not
read -p "Next device in list is \"$dev\". Do you want to open and mount it? (y/N): "

# skip device if desired
case "$answer" in

In the bash shell, the default variable assignment is $REPLY, whereas he is using $answer. I did not note this in my own use of the script, as I had made some modifications to it for my own application.

If you modify the 'read' statement, by adding 'answer' to the end of it (again, note line wrapping here):

read -p "Next device in list is \"$dev\". Do you want to open and mount it? (y/N): " answer

That modification should solve the problem by explicitly assigning the response to $answer. It will then be properly read in the 'case' statement.

I posted a comment about it on the wiki just now, so hopefully he will edit the script as required.

BTW, out of curiosity, did you modify /etc/fstab? Just wondering about confirming new behavior, if any, in FC5, besides the LUKS changes to gnome-mount, etc.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz