Re: Destination host unreachable

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
I'm getting this when trying to ping any host on my network from
machine B.

Which leads me to suspect a problem with my ethernet card. yet it
ifconfigs up and down OK.

Is there a conclusive test to demonstrate that the problem is with the
network card?

I would start with trying to narrow down the problem.
(1) Ping the loopback address. If this doesn't work, then you have
a *real* problem, unrelated to the card.
(2) Ping your router. [1]
(3) Ping the card's external IP address (set by DHCP or ifcofig).
(4) Ping another machine.
(5) Ping your machine from another.
(6) Ping a machine external to your net (like www.linux.org). [2]

This should narrow down where the error seems to occur. If you can't
ping your router, then try moving the cable to another port on
the router. If that doesn't help, try swapping in another cable.

[1] If you use one. If you're using a hub, then make the appropriate
modifications.

[2] When pinging outside your LAN, be nice. 20 pings will tell you
about as much as 2000.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.