Re: lvm over raid confusion

Paul Howarth <paul <at> city-fan.org> writes:

Try it again. I rebuilt the initrd using the --noresume option of mkinitrd.

OK, chapter 2.
- Boot from rescue CD.
- After it asks for keyboard layout and network, but before it scans for Linux
partitions, Ctrl-Alt-F2 and do # mdadm -AR /dev/md0 /dev/hdb /dev/hdc. It runs
/dev/md0.
- Switch back to rescue installer, and have it scan for Linux partitions. It
finds the install!
- I can now chroot /mnt/sysimage and build my own initrd. It builds in the RAID
drivers, and device mapper!
- Reboot with the new initrd. It loads the RAID module, and seems to correctly
detect /dev/md0, but it still does NOT find the volume group!!! Same output:
Couldn't find device with uuid ...
Couldn't find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00

I tried again and generated an initrd with --noresume, but that doesn't change
things at all.

Argh!

Maybe I can separate the VGs so that the RAID array isn't part of VolGroup00.

Try this: after your ctrl-alt-F2 and start md0, do a vgscan, then vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure. Make sure the LVs look right. Then, before you chroot, bind mount sys, dev and proc from the FC5 installed system. When doing the mkinitrd, include the raid1 module just to be sure...dunno...I have done similar and WFM. Good luck!

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)