Re: more problems migrating to RAID1

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 13:10, Jack Howarth wrote:
> Les,
>    I finally gave up on the migration. I could never get the linux
> rescue cd to recognize the newly created md partitions with the linux
> files copied over to them. Interestingly if I changed the Id for the
> partitions from fd back to 83 and reverted the changes to the /etc/fstab
> on the md root partition, the linux rescue cd would see both drives as
> having Linux installations. Also, when still set up for md partitions
> I always found that when booted from the linux rescue cd that the
> md partitions would always fail to mount with an 'Input/output error'
> message. I always had to execute...
>
> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level 1 --raid-devices=2 missing /dev/hde1
>
> ...etc for each md devices. I would then get a warning about this
> device already existing. I would continue to create it with a 'y'
> at the prompt after which the md device was available for mounting.
> However these devices didn't seem to survive a reboot back into the
> linux rescue cd. I would always get the same 'Input/output error'
> and have to recreate them with mdadm. I believe I saw the same
> behavior from the time I initially created them while booted from
> the hda drive. Weird.

Did you happen to try a 'cat /proc/mdstat' after the rescue
boot, or a 'dmesg' to see what the kernel actually saw
during bootup?  The only time I've seen something like
this is when I've forgotten to set the partition types
to FD or the /etc/fstab entries didn't match what the
booting kernel would find.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx