Re: Installing without a CD drive

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 13:36 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> I did it a similar way yesterday for my home file and print server, a
> K6-200 with 128MB RAM. Except I did an NFS install instead of a hard
> disk install. It took 9 hours to complete, and then anaconda crashed out
> at the last stage when it was trying to update the bootloader. I suspect
> this was because of the "ro" option; the installer didn't appear to have
> remounted /boot read-write at any point. Strange. Not too difficult to
> recover from though.
>
> Paul.

I've had it take a long time over nfs, I suspect more because a
connection to hard drive is a lot faster than ethernet (mine anyway)
rather than boot options. Mind you, I have a partition I use to install
new distros, when I am ready to use a new one, I modify the fstab to
make it use my /home partition and grub to make it default then use the
old partition to install/test new distro/versions. Makes it easy to use
hard drive install (just put isos in /home somewhere) and pretty much
risk free to upgrade. That way, I also don't need /boot to be read-write
as it is trivial to move boot to it's own partition later. If you need a
more complex partitioning though, I can see this wouldn't suit.

Rohan