Re: FC5 - good when installed, difficult to install

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

>> I see now there are suggestions that one should stop dma on the
>> CD-reader, though I haven't seen any precise instructions on how to do
>> this, and it does not seem to be mentioned in the documentation I have
>> read.

> Boot with "linux nodma"

Assuming that this is a sensible step to take,
would it not make sense for this advice to be given
when anaconda fails to read an rpm on the CD ?

>> I would have tried installing from hard disk,
>> though I noticed that this is no longer offered as an installation
>> option.

> Boot with "linux askmethod" or use the boot.iso image.

How exactly does one use the boot.iso image?
Can one use that to install, or only to upgrade?
Where exactly is this documented?

>> Actually, X did not work after the upgrade.
>> I found this was due to the fact that xorg now uses xfs to access fonts
>> rather than explicit FontPath's.
>> (Maybe this change was older than FC5?
>> I may have been using a compiled version of xorg.)
>>
> As far as I can recall, X uses xfs at least from FC2 forward. I dont
> have a FC1 install handy , but I believe that was also true on that
> version.

I've looked back at some xorg.conf's of mine,
and they all seem to have given explicit FontPath's;
I have been using the most recent xorg-x11's,
so I assume that these allowed that.
Perhaps it is simply that the font directories have moved?

In any case, it is a very minor point,
and I am pleased to get FC5 on my Picturebook.

I'm more concerned about the problems installing FC5
on more standard machines - could anything be more standard
than the ThinkPad?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366