Re: FC5 release and Grub

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 15:28 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please bear with me, but it appears that if you plan
> to install FC5 release as multi-boot, i.e. anything
> outside of anaconda grub-install's default setup, you
> may in in for a bit of a surprise... but your milage
> may vary.
>
> I have installed FC5 several times now and I find
> these facts at least on my system:
>
> 1) NON Multi-boot, first time install of FC5
>    Results: Installation completes and all works.
>
> 2) Multi-boot partitions:
>
>    P#1: 10GB: FAT32 Win98SE
>    P#2: 10GB: NTFS  Win2KPro
>    P#3: 75MB: ext3  /boot
>    P#$: 110GB Extended
>         20GB  NTFS  /App1
>         30GB  NTFS  /App2
>         30GB  NTFS  /App3
>         30GB  ext3  /
>
>   Special Grub install instructions:
>     a) Add:    /dev/hda3 (hd0,2) # for /boot - make this default
>        Delete: 'Other' - no use for it
>
>   Results:
>     a) Black screen - nothing appears, nothing is running
>     b) Reboot with rescue CD; chroot /mnt/sysimage
>         i) cd /boot
>        ii) All files are there: kernel, initd, grub directory
>       iii) cd grub
>        iv) Only one file appears: splash.xpm.gz
>         v) Rebuild grub:
>            1) cd ..; mv grub g1; grub-install /dev/hda3
>            2) Examine/Rebuild grub:
>               x) grub directory created and all stage
>                  files are built, but missing are:
>                    grub.conf & splash.xpm.gz
>               y) cp /boot/g1/splash* /boot/grub
>                  vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
>                  *** Add correct entries w/ hd0,2 as primary target
>                  Save file (:wq!)
>        vi) Grub is rebuilt manually, remove rescue CD & reboot
>       vii) Multi-booted Fedora, splash appears, initrd runs BUT
>            1) Unable to open /etc/fstab
>            2) Unable to create swap: Unable to open: /etc/fstab
>            3) Since X11 cannot start, Anaconda based setup appears
>               requesting setup for Authentication and a MANY other
>               setup defaults.
>            ABORT (Control-Alt-Del)
>

>   Ah... so it seems that FC5 release results in a very good
>   release but it is not doing well for me :-(
>
>   What can I do with the problem with /etc/fstab?  Is this
>   a SELinux issue  or what?
>
>   Please advise,
>   Dan

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I needed to add a little tidbit
to the above reported information.

+ I have successfully installed FC5 onto my system and I now
  understand what it was that caused me grief.

***  Do not use the 'Configure Now' radio button and install everything
     in the list, but choose instead 'Configure later'.  I installed
     everything except language in my case but and attempting to
     complete the installation resulted in an abrupt reboot somewhere
     during the CD #4 disc. I did not realize this until I installed
     FC5 the second time around and payed closer attention. This means
     that post-installation will not completed nor will grub complete
     either. This explains why grub is HOSED and fails to work when
     rebooting!

+ It appears that when anaconda gets to the grub setup step, anaconda
  (or grub) does not know that "/boot" and "/" in separate partitions
  and simply assumes "/boot" and "/" are in the same partition and
  proceeds to provide the "/" device. Since I now understand the
  difference between "/" and "/boot" and where grub fits into this
  picture - I now know how to define it during the first-time setup
  phase.  It was a hard lesson learned.

Kind regards,
Dan