Re: FC5 WiFi confusion

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Dan wrote:

I gathered from the documentation that FC5 relies on NetworkManager,
but this did not appear to be running after installation.
In my case, when I chkconfig-ed NetworkManager on, and re-booted,
I was not connected to my dhcp LAN,
and no NM applet appeared in my KDE panel as I had expected.

The whole WiFi setup is a bit of a mess, in my experience.

Turn on NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher services.

That is precisely what I did, and it did not work.
I was not connected to my LAN,
and no applet appeared in my KDE panel.

I'm sorry, but NetworkManager at the moment is simply not up to the job
that has been given to it in FC5.
Hopefully it will be in the future.

Oh, you're using KDE. The applet is in the package NetworkManager-gnome, so obviously this doesn't work for KDE; I'd look into what Jon referred you to.
[grinnz@bookdt43p ~]$ rpm -ql NetworkManager-gnome
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf
/usr/bin/nm-applet
/usr/bin/nm-vpn-properties