Re: Firefox 1.5 issues

Motor wrote:
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:26:53 +0200, Boris Glawe wrote:

I can confirm, that firefox hangs for seconds while it locks up the
whole gnome desktop when visiting some pages. This is a strange thing,
that I've never experienced before in older FC Versions.

It's not crashing though. Except the high CPU usage it does what it's
excpected to do.

Try:

$ MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 /usr/bin/firefox

It seems to have cured the problem for me. I was hoping for a faster Pango
myself, but FC5 seems to be a major step back in that regard. I don't know
whether it's the change to using Cairo... but the much-talked about
performance improvements in GNOME seem to have been thrown away.

Could Pango have anything to do with the random but consistent freezes that I was experiencing with 64-bit firefox? I say random but consistent because I could not come up with a sequence of reproducible steps but it was fairly consistent that after a few minutes of browsing, firefox would freeze on me. I finally gave up and replaced the 64-bit firefox with the 32-bit firefox. I haven't had any problems since.

Dan.