Re: FC5 install via sftp -

On 3/26/06, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike Chambers wrote:
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 17:11 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
This computer runs FC4 and has a dvd reader.  The computer
I want to install FC5 on does not.

I do routinely transfer files between them via sftp and an
ethernet connection.

How can I install FC5 without physically removing the cd/dvd drive
from this computer and installing it in the "target?" The target computer
runs FC4 and has only one 80G drive all of which is allocated for Linux.
Don't know if you can do it via sftp, but you can do it via ftp, http,
nfs, by way of network install. You would obviously need to setup your
one computer with the ISO's, or make an install dir of each individual
rpms and then use that as the base of the install.

Does the computer that will have FC5 installed on have a cd-reader? You
can burn the boot.iso image or cd #1 of FC5 and boot off it, using linux
askmethod at teh boot prompt.

There are other ways I guess as well depending on what you can/want to
do.

Ok, the NFS install worked!

I copied the DVD to a directory in this computer, made the CD from boot.iso and used it to boot the target computer with "linux askmethod"   It took me a while to get the NFS install routine working until I read the exportfs man page.

I had to do     "exportfs -o async 10.1.1.1:/home/bobg/dvdc5"  in order to enable the connection but once started it took a little more than an hour while I walked dogs, fed horses and made a trip to the grocery in town.

I have a few more to do once I have confidence in FC5.

Thanks to all for the help.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia

Good luck