Re: New user problem in FC4

On Sunday 26 March 2006 19:42, T. Horsnell wrote:
> >I've just created a new user for the purpose of running backup scripts.  A
> >home directory has been created, but I am unable to log in as that user.
> > I get the 'your session lasted less than 10 seconds' error.  Sure enough,
> > the new user does not get a space allocated in /tmp, and without that I
> > can't run the setup scripts.
> >
> >What could have gone wrong?
>
> What do you mean when you say 'the new user does not get a space allocated
> in /tmp'?

I was thinking of the directories created by kde which I believe get set up
when a Desktop is created.

> Users dont get space allocated in /tmp, but they do need
> write-access to the /tmp directory, and so /tmp is normally
> world-writeable. It also has the 'sticky' bit set in the file-permissions
> so that only the owner can remove files from /tmp.
>
> If you do 'ls -l / | grep tmp' you should see
>
> drwxrwxrwt  15 root root  4096 Mar 26 18:36 tmp
>
> Is this true on your system?

It wasn't.  I had

drwxrwxr-x   17 root users  4096 Mar 26 19:13 tmp

I've corrected that, and of course the script can now run.  I suspect that I
shall also be able to log in, though I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks for the help, Terry.

Anne