Re: fc5 X performance is a mess!

Gérard Milmeister wrote:

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 13:49 +0200, Boris Glawe wrote:
My gpu is an nvidia geforce 5200, my machine is Athlon XP2800+ with 1GB PC3200 RAM on an Asus Board - short: my machine is very fast. I haven't installed any proprietary drivers from nvidia yet, since the kernel still refuses to load non-gpl modules and because nvidia's installer doesn't work properly with FC5.

I have a geforce 6800, and am running the nv driver. I cannot confirm
you experience. I notice that the nv is slightly slower that the NVIDIA one (for example tvtime takes a little more CPU time).

Maybe there is something wrong with your xorg.conf. Can you show
use the relevant parts?

I presume you have upgraded from FC4 to FC5. Did you use livna's
NVIDIA installer. If you, you should!
I am going to install FC5 on over 50 machines with different cpus and gpus. Unfortunately it's not worth trying to activate any bleeding edge hardware accelaration only to be able to browse the web... but I'll give the nvidia installer a try. Thanks for the hint.

here's my xorg.conf as it was created by anaconda during the installtion:

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier     "Default Layout"
   Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
   InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, a font server independent of the X server is
# used to render fonts.
   FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load  "dbe"
   Load  "extmod"
   Load  "fbdevhw"
   Load  "glx"
   Load  "record"
   Load  "freetype"
   Load  "type1"
   Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#    Option    "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#    Option    "XkbModel"    "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
# or:
#    Option    "XkbLayout"    "de"
#    Option    "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#    Option    "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
#
   Identifier  "Keyboard0"
   Driver      "kbd"
   Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option        "XkbLayout" "de"
   Option        "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "Mouse0"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
   Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
   Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
   Identifier   "Monitor0"
   VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
   ModelName    "MCM 21P2"
   DisplaySize  400    300
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
   HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
   VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
   Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Videocard0"
   Driver      "nv"
   VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
   BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Videocard0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
       Viewport   0 0
       Depth     16
       Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
       Viewport   0 0
       Depth     24
Modes "1400x1050" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
   Group        0