Re: Installing dependencies only

On Sunday 26 March 2006 12:40, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 3/26/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Is it possible with yum and with only one instruction to install not a
> > > certain package but all its dependencies?
> >
> > That is the normal behaviour.  You ask for one package, and if you
> > already have all the dependencies you will get one package.  If you
> > haven't got them all you may find that it says it needs to install 3 or
> > more.  It always asks permission before installing.
>
> Thanks, Anne, but it is not what I wanted to mean: imagine that the
> package x.rpm has, as dependencies, the packages y.rpm and z.rpm; in
> this case, I would like to install only the dependencies, i.e., only
> y.rpm and z.rpm, and NOT x.rpm.

All I can suggest, then, is to ask yum for the original package, then when it
lists the necessaries, reject the install and give a new yum command listing
the required dependency packages.

It seems a rather strange requirement, so telling the reason for the
requirement may spark of some better solution from a more knowledgeable
poster.

Anne