Re: worth upgrading/ installing?

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 10:37:37 -0600, hbrhodes wrote:

> anyone think or know if it is worth upgrading to FC5 from FC4?
>
> is it more worthwhile to do it a clean install?

My experience of FC4 to FC5...

Broke my sound card. Random lock ups whenever sound was used and a syslogd
message telling me that interrupt 17 has been disabled-- re-installing the
latest FC4 kernel sorts it out. So somebody has broken the sound.

Graphics performance seems sluggish... I thought GNOME 2.14 had some
serious performance improvements, but not so as I noticed. Perhaps they
have all been drained away by Cairo. That's after I got X working again,
since right after installing, X failed to start saying it couldn't find
fonts.

I've just done a yum upgrade, and upgraded gconf -- and now gconf-editor
crashes.

Metacity now starts any apps *behind* the gnome-terminal window it was
launched from. Why? Who knows? I gave up trying to understand the logic
behind Metacity's configuration choices.

I ended up disabling SELinux. I've put up with it since it was introduced,
but with another long list of "denied" messages when I started FC5, I
decided I'd had enough. Less secure? Possibly, but I'd run out of patience
with cryptic failures and picking through dmesg and audit2why etc.

wget/curl/yum all failed to work unless directed through privoxy. I had no
idea why until someone mentioned that something similar had happened to
them. I moved /etc/nsswitch.conf and they worked again.  An "rpm -qf
/etc/nsswitch.conf" revealed that it belong to glibc. I reinstalled that
and everything still worked. There was no /etc/nsswitch.rpmnew/rpmsave...
and I've never modified the file -- I didn't even know what it did.

My verdict,... well... disappointing. I'd have put up with the oddness and
breakages had I seen the performance improvements I was hoping for with
GNOME... but I didn't. And all in all, I have to say that I wish I'd
stayed with FC4.