Re: FC4->5 upgrade httpd (apache) problem

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
Am Sa, den 25.03.2006 schrieb Don Russell um 4:22:

I upgraded my FC4 machine to FC5 from the i386 DVD.

Things went OK, but wen I rebooted, send mail and httpd would not start.

I did a"yum update" and that solved the sendmail problem, but httpd won't start.

[root@boris ~]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 170 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]
[root@boris ~]#

I've been googling for this and haven't come up with anything....

Where does mod_access.so come from, and why would it have disappeared....httpd was working fine with FC4.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Check for *.rpmnew files on your system. Do you have a
httpd.conf.rpmnew? Then compare the httpd.conf (old, from FC4 with
Apache2 2.0) with the httpd.conf.rpmnew (new, with FC5 with Apache2
2.2).

Sure enough, there was a httpd.conf.rpmnew file. I checked to see if there were any changes in httpd.conf that I needed to carry over, and no, I hadn't made any changes.

I renamed the httpd.conf file as httpd.conf-old-fc4
then renamed httpd.conf.rpmnew as httpd.conf

Trying to start httpd resulted in the same error:

[root@boris conf]# service httpd start
Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 147 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                                                          [FAILED]

Since that solve anything, I renamed the fies back the way they were.

I don't have a lot of stuff on the web server... I'm thinking of just backing up my individual pages and cgi scripts, removing httpd altogether and then 'yum install httpd'.

But that seems extreme... the only thing wrong seems to be this mod_access.so file can't be found? hmmm, so what happened to it? It's referred to in both (fc4/5) httpd.conf files...

Don