Re: slow FC4 to FC5 upgrade

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 07:28 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
Was the nodma option used because of mediacheck issues? Turning off
dma like that will kill hard disk performance as well as CD
performance.

I am curious as to why DMA might foul up mediacheck or installations,
but be okay once you have an installed system?  I also wonder if, given
the long time involved, it'd be better to first do a mediacheck, then
reboot with DMA for the installation?

Rebooting after the mediacheck and not inserting ide=nodma would give you faster installations. I use that method myself if the media needs nodma for checking the discs. I had successful installs with tht method also.

Jim