Re: new question on mediacheck

Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
Question is  -

can mediacheck be performed without rebooting (while I am still booted in FC4). or can I do a sha1sum on burned CD contents (without making an ISO from burned CD).

Status is
I downloaded FC-5-i386-discX.iso (X=1-5)
sha1sum checked, OK.
Burned d1 d2 d5 successfully (no error reported)
Boot using d1 OK
mediacheck d1 OK ; but d2 & d5 fail
So I burn and mediacheck and do again.....
and that is why the question

--
Anil Kumar Shrama

The mediacheck program does not work reliably since the 2.6 kernel was introduced. You might try to pass linux ide=nodma in order to use the mdiacheck program with better results. The issue has to do with either additional padding needs applied to the discs burned to overcome the error, ide=nodma needs passed.

Anyway, do not be too concerned with the results from mediacheck if the sha1sum is alright. I went through a set of discs myself back during the switch to the 2.6 kernel.

Jim