Re: Identifying a hard drive

On 3/24/06, Kam Leo <kam.leo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Brian D. McGrew <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > (Help, I can't remember)
> >
> > How do I identify a hard drive make/model in a running system???
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > :b!
> >
> > Brian D. McGrew { brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx || brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx }

Use the command (as root)

hdparm -I /dev/hda (assuming you are looking for info on the
master/single drive on the primary IDE chain).

Gives you tons of info on the drive, including make, model, s/n, and
lots of other stuff.

If you are unsure of the drives, but want info on the one running,
type the mount command to see what is mounted (hda, hdb, hdc,
whatever) and then hdparm that device.

Jacques B.