Re: FC5 issue with ndiswrapper

--- Gary Cobb <gecobb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Josh Coffman wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> The kernel-devel rpm is on the distro.  All I had
> >> do was select the
> >> development packages and it installed it for me.
> >>
> >>      kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.x86_64.rpm
> >>      kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.x86_64.rpm
> >> are both on the install DVD.
> >>

> > </snip>
> *** That's an x86_64 DVD, I used the i386 CD and it
> was no where to be
> found either on the FC5T3 or the FC5 GA distro.
>
> > Has anyone gotten NetworkManager or the network
> gui
> > applet to recognize wlan0 usin ndiswrapper?
> >
> > I can manage wlan0 fine in cli, but not the nice
> gui
> > tools. So I think its not an ndiswrapper of
> > wireless-tools problem.
> >

> No.  IMHO it is busted.  It worked in FC4 and FC5T3,
> but not in FC5.
>
> I had to go  to my FC4 partition and copy the files
> in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts manually into the FC5
> partition.  Then
> everything worked like a charm.  I don't know where
> the responsibility
> for creating these files lies.
>
> I used to be able to 1) install and configure
> ndiswrapper, 2) bring up
> the interface from CLI, 3) run
> system-config-network, 4) disable eth0 at
> startup (just gets rid of a boot time "FAILED"
> message), 5) configure
> and enable wlan0 at startup, and 6) reboot.  Not any
> more :-(

I am able to use NetworkManager for it now, but I had
to add "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" in /etc/modprobe.conf
as other people have posted.

I'm not sure if is because of settings, but the
Network applet(system-config-network) doesn't seem to
be able to connect.

In FC4 I build ndiswrapper from source each time I
upgraded my kernel. This time I pulled ndiswrapper
from livna. I don't know if building from source would
work the same as in FC4; might have to try it.

For now, NetworkManager or iwconfig is functionable.

&#9556;&#9552;&#9552;&#9559;
&#9553; j&#8776;
&#9562;&#9552;&#9552;&#9565;