Re: bittorrent slow

[Posted and mailed, because the list is slow today.]

At 10:18 AM -0800 3/23/06, Knute Johnson wrote:
>>At 3:17 PM -0800 3/22/06, Knute Johnson wrote:
>>>I could sure use some suggestions to improve my Bittorrent
>>>performance.  I have 9881-9889 forwarded in my router.  My ISP
>>>throttles the high ports but only to 256kbit.  I'm running Bittorrent
>>>4.4.1 on a WinXP machine and I'm only getting 10KB/sec up and around
>>>14KB/sec down.  It has been downloading the bordeaux-binary-i386 for
>>>two days now and still has 13 hours to go.  When I first started it
>>>on Monday it was running about twice as fast but after a few hours
>>>slowed to what it is doing now.
>>
>>FWIW, have you tried stopping the download and starting it again?  Just
>>re-issue the command and it will pick up where it left off.  Maybe you'll
>>get a different part of the torrent.
>
>Thanks for the suggestion Tony.  My download finished before I could
>try your suggestion but I will next time.  Also, after the download
>stopped, my upload went to 58KB/sec.  I have no idea what it means
>though.

I think it means that your uploading was interfering with your downloading.
You might have gotten better speed with the upload set to the default 20
KB/s.

Via a cable modem here, I downloaded FC5t3 with my upload set to 40 KB/s
and watched the download and upload speeds oscillate in opposite phase.  I
downloaded FC5 with my upload set to the default 20 KB/s and download and
upload speeds were stable.  I restarted after the download completed,
setting the upload to 60 KB/s (the highest I observed was about 45 KB/s),
and uploaded 3 copies (over several days) before stopping.