Re: FC5, Dell Latitude, wireless, and beagle Oh my!

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 08:21 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Installed FC5 on a Dell Latitude CPx laptop yesterday.  Install went
> > fairly smoothly.  The only problems encountered was the LCD was not

> > I have also noticed some odd behavior with the mouse pad on the laptop.
> > As the pointer is moved sometimes it seems to cause the browser to do a
> > back page or raise a window that was minimized.  Have tried adjusting
> > the options under the mouse preferences but that has not made any real
> > difference.  Did not have this kind of behavior under FC2.
>
> You're seeing some of the capabilities of the synaptics driver, which
> supports scrolling along the right and bottom edges, among other cool
> features that may seem annoying if you aren't expecting them.  This
> behavior is controllable--see the docs in /usr/share/doc/synaptics*/.
>
> IRC, the synaptics driver wan't part of the FC2 default install.

I think you have hit on the answer.  The touchpad support under FC2 was
apparently very limited.  Under FC5 the newer driver appears to provide
additional features such as the scroll area.  Not having used that
feature previously I tend to hit that area and that causes the behavior
I have seen.  Hopefully I will get used to it.

Will read the docs to see what adjustments can be made.

Thanks.