Re: FC5, Dell Latitude, wireless, and beagle Oh my!

> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 21:51 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > Installed FC5 on a Dell Latitude CPx laptop yesterday.  Install went
> > fairly smoothly.  The only problems encountered was the LCD was not
> > identified.  It defaulted to a 800x600 resolution.  Was able to correct
> > that later by selecting a higher resolution screen and set it to
> > 1024x768.
> >
> > IMHO the package selection screens appeared a little cartoonish.  It
> > might be the laptop screen and the default resolution.  Will have to
> > compare when I get a chance to install on a desktop system with a better
> > monitor and video card.
> >

> You probably got the impression from the Icons. The interface probably
> needs a facelift.

The package selection menus from FC4 looked more professional IMHO.  A
face lift should be planned for the next release if possible.

> > It was nice to see that the prism54 drivers were included and the
> > wireless card was detected.  The only issue with that was that I had to
> > get the firmware copied to the /lib/firmware directory.  After that I
> > was able to get the wireless connection up an running.
>
> Most of the wireless cards firmware doesnt meet the redistribution
> guidelines for Fedora and has to be downloaded manually. Rest of the
> infrastructure usually works well.

Figured that was the issue.  Did not take me long to get this issue
sorted since I had to manually install all of the drivers and firmware
in FC2 so I knew where the parts were and understood the error messages
in /var/log/messages.

Is there a resource available for new users to help them find the info
and the firmware for such devices?  I can see a new user having lots of
problems getting all the parts to get such a wireless card working.

> > Today I noticed the CPU getting hit really hard by the beagle process.
> > I looked for where this was started but did not find it in the services
> > tool.  I did find and entry under System->Search & Indexing that was set
> > to start search and indexing services automatically.  I disable this
> > option.  I am hoping that disables this beagle task completely.
> > Searching through the menus I don't see anything that would allow
> > configuration or use of this beagle search service.  Possibly I did not
> > install a part of it.  But if it eats CPU cycles as it did I don't think
> > this is something I would want to run on this laptop.  Not clear on the
> > benefits of using beagle either.  The other thread on this topic did not
> > shed much light on that.
> >

> Beagle is a automatic indexing and search tool. Sort of like Google
> desktop search in Windows or Spotlight in Macs.
> http://beaglewiki.org/Main_Page. It is disabled by default in Fedora
> Core 5 since it was found to have a nasty memory leak just before the
> release. The latest update should fix this.

It is disabled by default?  Then why did the process get started on this
machine?  Or is there another part that was disabled?  I need to find a
tutorial that explains how this beagle application is suppose to work.

> > So far things have worked better than expected, other than the items
> > noted.  Good job everyone!
> >

> Thank you for the feedback.

You are welcome.