Re: Finding old information

On Thursday 23 March 2006 10:07, Tod Merley wrote:
> Hi Anne!
>
> I have found it quite useful at times to have the FC list and Ubuntu list
> (I am on both) in Gmail.  I have been doing this for about a year, am using
> only 4% of my limit (96MB of 2.7GB) but the search tool has been great when
> I needed to find something pertaining to specific hardware or a subject
> under study.

I do the same for some MLs where I don't want to read every day, but may well
need to from time to time.  Perhaps I should add FC to my googlemail
collection :-)

> In looking at how I might do spcifically what you asked, the only way I can
> think of is to download the gunzips, extract, and run your favorite text
> search tools on them.  Kinda crude.
>
> I have found Google very useful finding info about specific hardware and
> how they fare on distros.  It helps to ask the question several differant
> ways. "Dell Inspiron 8100 on Fedora Core"  (try moving the words arround,
> remove some words, add say "problems" or "installation" and take hints from
> what you find).  Alaways look at the date and context of what you find.

I've often found specific mails by googling.  I'd just hoped for a better way.
There may be more than one archive of the lists, too.  I'll spend a few
minutes this evening trying to find out.  Some archives are easier to
navigate than others.

Anne