Re: Accessing vfat drives from FC4

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I'm dual booting a machine XP/FC4.  The user wants write access to the
> Windows drive from FC4.  I can mount the drives just fine but as a user
> I can't write to them.  I've converted the Windows drives to Fat32. I'm
> mounting them via fstab as vfat with:
>
> /dev/hda1 /data1 defaults 0 0
>
> The mount point (/data1) is 777 but a Linux user has no write access to
> them.  What am I doing wrong?  I need all users to have write access...
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

Permissions on the VFAT partition are controlled by the mount
command, and not the permissions of the mount point. Read the mount
man page for more about this. You will probably want something like
this in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 /data1 vfat
umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,noexec 0 0

Mikkel