Re: GRUB with IDE and SCSI disk

On 3/23/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
One of my systems has an IDE disk and a SCSI disk.  I upgraded the IDE
disk and I need to reinstall grub.  /boot is in /dev/sda1, but the system
boots off of /dev/hda.

I've tried various things to install GRUB on the new /dev/hda, but
everything results in a complaint during boot that

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.

For example, in GRUB shell, I installed using:

        > root (hd1,0)
        > setup (hd0)

The installation seems to work fine, but boot fails as above. I had this
working before, but for my life I can't recall how I did it differently
from this.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

For the purpose of GRUB, UR SCSI disc should be /dev/hd0 and IDE should be /dev/hd1.
If you set the BIOS to give first pref to SCSI and install grub on MBR of SCSI
Else if 1st pref is IDE then install grub on MBR of IDE. (there are other ways also).
In either case grub.conf will address SCSI as /dev/hd0. and your partition sda1 will be addressed as 0 (zero).
so in the grub.conf U should have
root (hd0,0)
 ((  Pl copy grub.conf to grub.conf.bak before making any changes  ))

--
Anil Kumar Shrama