UTF8 settings (was: Can scp be used to update a directory?)

I asked Anne Wilson:
> Can you open a shell and type
> echo $LANG
> It should return
> en_GB.UTF-8
> which should confirm your settings.
>
> And you'd probably better check /etc/sysconfig/i18n, too.

She replied:
> Both say that I'm using en_US.UTF-8.  I have kde set to use en_GB.UTF-8, I
> believe, but if I run system-config-language only en_US.UTF-8 is present.
> How can I change it?

Change that value in /etc/sysconfig/i18n. Although the difference is
simply that you'll occasionally get American content / spelling /
preferences. You shouldn't have problems with accents or unusual
characters due to the difference.

(Having said that, I'm still on FC4. Check /usr/lib/locale and make sure
there's an en_GB.utf8 directory there if you're on FC5).

> I've seen it mostly in konqueror file manager, but yesterday I received an
> email where one name showed the same problem.

So from where did you get those files? Were they generated on another
computer?

What happens if you ls them from the command line?

As for the single e-mail -- I'd blame the other end, personally.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | actor: (n) a piece of scenery that has the audacity
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | to move once lit.