Re: Do I Really Want Beagle??

David Cary Hart wrote:
Life was fine without it. Is there something I am missing or is the
bloat more than the benefit?

Beagle is a document indexing and retrieval tool for desktop search. It is really useful if you have years of documents and mail - you vaguely remember that you saw (or wrote!) something on a particular topic, but you don't remember where.

Think Google desktop on Windows or Spotlite on a Mac.

If you don't have a lot of documents, it may not be useful. It is definitely not for servers.

Beagle is still young - and sometimes misbehaves. There are ways to mitigate this, such as starting beagle without the indexer when you're running a laptop on a battery.

I've followed beagle since the original nrpms.net release for FC3, documenting my experience at http://www.antezeta.com/beagle-fedora.html .

FC5 users should skip the installation section, as it is not applicable.

I've not yet extensively investigated FC5 integration - such as the best way to autostart beagled and beagle-search. Is it still gnome-session-manager? Thus, feedback is welcome!

Sean Carlos

http://www.antezeta.it/