Re: Accessing vfat drives from FC4

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
I'm dual booting a machine XP/FC4. The user wants write access to the Windows drive from FC4. I can mount the drives just fine but as a user I can't write to them. I've converted the Windows drives to Fat32. I'm mounting them via fstab as vfat with:

/dev/hda1 /data1 defaults 0 0

The mount point (/data1) is 777 but a Linux user has no write access to them. What am I doing wrong? I need all users to have write access...

Thanks

Doug P

FAT32 filesystems have no permissions to speak of. Permissions need to be set at mounting, so in addition to defaults, add the option uid=username, for the username you want as the owner, and/or gid=username. Also, if you want them to be able to mount/unmount it, add the option users, or user=username. See man mount for more details.
-Dan