Re: Dumping Windows

Thom Paine wrote:
Check the samba site. There is a 'Samba By Example' that I use
regularly for my job. There are tons of real world examples for
different scenarios that may help. I can't recall a specific example
that talks about migrating the existing Windows Server to Samba, but
there is a good chapter on a network with 2000 users and how to handle
it. You might find something helpful in that book.

As a side note, are you sure you want to use something as dynamic as
Fedora for a network of this size? Sounds like the server(s) should
maybe run RHEL and the workstations Fedora? But that's just me.

If Linux is an option for the workstations, I'd be using RHEL or a clone on those too.

Or Kubuntu/Ubuntu: Dapper, due in June, has the long life you need, and it's in development now so you can have a look, participate in testing and offer feedback.

Fedora, IMV, isn't an option for an enterprise with lots of users, my experience has been that it's entirely likely you will have unbootable boxes at some point, where the Air Movement Device would be absolutely buried in smelly, brown, sticky stuff.

Ubuntu releases often, so always there's a release with the latest, but once released there are only updates for security and important bugs, no updates because "here's a new version." Ordinarily, the support life is quite short, but Dapper's being polished and prepped for years of useful, supported service.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait