Re: Can scp be used to update a directory?

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 16:49, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 09:13, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Yes, I suspected that would be the solution, but held off until I resolve
> > the multiple exclusion question and recursivity.  I will make local
> > backups to RW of any config files I suspect I'd want to keep.  However,
> > can you see any reason why the command I gave would act recursively?
> > That was totally unexpected, and undesired at this stage.  I need to
> > workout the exclusion list first.
>
> See the rsync man page about all of the other options that '-a'
> implies.

Ah yes - I had read it, but missed the fact that -r is included.

> Recursion is one of them.  But, I thought earlier you
> said you wanted it to always pick up new additions.

Yes, finally.  I just hadn't intended it at that stage.  It's a matter of
trying to make sure that I understand all the implications ;-)

That only leaves the question of how to set multiple exclusions.  It looks to
me as though exclude-from=filename is going to be the best way to do it.  Is
that right?  With a man page this long you can read until you are
bog-eyed ;-)

Anne