Re: Unexplained network activity

David J. Bakeman wrote:
> Both ethereal and tcpdump show nothing when I think I'n doing nothing even
> though the gnome system monitor displays >60% usage(Both ethereal and tcpdump
> do show something when I'm reading email, accessing the web, etc)?  Who do I
> believe?

I don't use the software in question, but it's possible that it's
showing traffic going over the loopback device, which just connects back
to your PC.

Try /sbin/ifdown eth0 to get your Ethernet connection down, and see if
the system monitor reports anything.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Watch your grammar, teams: the double negative is a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | complete no-no.