Re: No sound problem ?

Neil Brookes wrote:
Andy,
This is looking more and more worrying !!!
This has been an ongoing problem for me for quite a while. I cant remember 'exactly' what other solutions I have tried, but it did involve attempting to recompile Alsa modules.

Unless your soundcard is brand new or buggy, and so not properly supported by the default RHAT kernel's Alsa, you shouldn't need to consider recompiling Alsa.

Best method is to rise above it all :-)

http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/

Grab this from there:

http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC5/RPMS.kernel/kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5.i686.rpm

install and make sure grub will boot you into it. Then try again afresh (because you will get a fresh set of Alsa modules from RHAT in there) with

system-config-soundcard

-Andy