Re: BitTorrent not slow, but users are clueless

alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:31 -0500, sean wrote:
>>
>>> The biggest problem is usually that your upstream speed is limited which
>>> will severely reduce your download speed (1).  One common cause is having
>>> local firewall (iptables) rules active.  Another is having a router
>>> (linksys etc.) which hasn't been configured to allow bittorrent
>>> connections (2).
>>
>> I would venture to say that a combination of these factors is
>> responsible for most cases of poor performance, even more so that ISP
>> traffic shaping.
>>
>> There's plenty of clueless people out there who are behind a broadband
>> router that's doing NAT, the router has no protocol helper for
>> BitTorrent and does not forward the BitTorrent ports to the correct
>> machine behind it - as a result of course the download speed is very
>> low, yet people complain about BitTorrent per se. lol :-)
>>
>> Saying "BitTorrent sucks" has a pretty high probability of being
>> equivalent to "my computer/networking skills suck".
>
> I have been using BitTorrent quite a bit and I have seen pretty iffy
> performance downloading FC5.
>
> I am using the correct ports, my firewall handles it fine, and my ISP
> does not block.  Other downloads have not been a problem since the
> last router upgrade.
>
> Something else is going on here.

If your client supports it, try limiting your uplink speed. For a 1Mb
ADSL, about 18kB/s is about right. That will let me get 110kB/s
download. Without a specific limit, the uplink speed doubles, you drop
so many packets that the download speed is cut in half.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571