.htaccess not working when using https

Setup:
I have a fc4 install that i do named virtual hosting with. I have my ssl domain running on a different ip and in that directory i have links that point back to the virtual host directory.
eg. http://www.virtual1.com == https://ssl.mydomain.com/virtual1

Problem:
.htaccess works fine on non ssl domains but when i change to https .htaccess is ignored.

More specifically i have password protected directories that are not password protected when using https

Help:
Does anyone know how to configure mod_ssl to recognise .htaccess or what might be wrong?

thx
-chris