Re: BitTorrent not slow, but users are clueless

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 13:31 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

> There's plenty of clueless people out there who are behind a broadband
> router that's doing NAT, the router has no protocol helper for
> BitTorrent and does not forward the BitTorrent ports to the correct
> machine behind it - as a result of course the download speed is very
> low, yet people complain about BitTorrent per se. lol :-)
>
> Saying "BitTorrent sucks" has a pretty high probability of being
> equivalent to "my computer/networking skills suck".

Florin:

Assuming you might be right and I'm clueless (although 20+ years as
system administrator on many, many different platforms might be
contradictory to that assumption), it seems to me (and just to me, it's
only my opinion, and I could be wrong, as usual), that the best approach
would be to give some advice on how to configure things. As I said on a
(I'm using port 44999), and my ISP swears (although I cannot certify
they are telling the truth) that they are not shaping (I really doubt
that they even know *how* to do it). So, I'm just saying that maybe, and
again, I might be wrong, torrents are not the best solution for
everybody. Also, there are other limitations, as how is my ISP connected
to the Internet, how is the backbone in my country routing traffic
to/from the Internet and a lot of other variables. I'm not blaming
torrent, I'm just saying that, in my case, it is not a better tool than,
say, ftp.

Please, keep in mind that not all the world is connected equally to the
net, and that there are huge differences in performance. At my location,
there are no options but ONE service provider, whose best offer is 256
kbps. On other locations in my country, the best you can get is 5 Mbps,
at premium rates (almost half an average monthly salary, so go figure!),
and in those places, I can get rates that are consistent (read
proportional) with what I'm getting at home.

So, my whole point was to say that torrent might not be the best
solution for everybody, and that there are several other things to
consider.

Please, forgive me if I misunderstood your statements, or if you got
offended by any of my sayings. I apologize in any case.

Best regards,

--
Mariano López Reta <mlreta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tortuguitas, Buenos Aires, Argentina