Re: bittorrent slow

On 3/21/06, Tony Heaton <theaton@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:41 -0600, lostson wrote:
>  Hello
>  I am terribly disappointed in the bittorrent, I had heard it would be faster
> then getting them off the mirrors so i fired it up and it nicely told me 1
> day and 22 hours to go. I thought well there wasn't too many people with the

I have to agree with all these bittorrent complaints.  It took me 22
hours to get the FC5 i386 DVD from bittorrent.  It took me 35 minutes to
get the FC5 x86_64 DVD from a mirror.  32 minutes to get the FC5 ppc DVD
from a mirror.

If you can find a quick mirror then that is great! Bittorrent is not a magic-bullet but it is probably largely responsible for you being able to find a fast mirror that wasn't brought to its knees by a rush of early adopters. I remember in the days before an official bittorrent (or any bittorrent really) where you would have to wait a few days to even get a connection to one of the ftp mirrors. Things are an order of magnitude better now.

There are a few things that people have to configure to get bt running smoothly but it will never give you the kind of throughput of an unloaded mirror right on the backbone. It will scale more gracefully with huge quantities of simultaneous downloaders though.

/Mike (In my day we had 1200 baud modems ... and we loved it! ;])