Re: OT : an end to script kiddies

Pardon the top post, but, as has been pointed out, first, honeypots and canaries are useful in keeping your security strategy current. Second, active prevention such as tarpitting offending IPs can be very useful if done well, deadly if done wrong. Third, aggression against zombies is begging for legal problems and not buying much of anything in return.

Fourth, if you have the time to waste engaging in warfare against the script kiddies, I wish I had your job. ;-) (Okay, just joking about the fourth point. Sort of.)

If you are employed by the police, you might want to work on counter-attacks, but you won't be breaking and entering, and you won't be entering without a warrant. Informing the owners and admins of zombied boxes is definitely something that might be a good use of tax money, but it could also easily become an abusive activity.

Think about the consequences of what you're suggesting, think like it's a game of chess and see if you aren't suggesting sacrificing your queen for a pawn.