Re: Can't Get Intel PRO/Wireless Card to work with FC5

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 03:06:18PM -0500, Lovell Mcilwain wrote:

> jim lawrence wrote:
> >On 3/21/06, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Hello All,
> >>
> >>Can anyone tell me how to get my Intel Pro/Wireless card to work on
> >>FC5?  I checked the IPW2200 mailing list and they believe that I should
> >>have everything I need for this to work already installed on my machine
> >>yet I am not able to get this to work.
> >>
> >>Version of IPW2200 = git-1.0.4
> >>Version of Firmware = 2.4
> >>
> >>At the current state of my machine here are the steps that I have done.
> >>1. installed liva rpm source
> >>2. ran yum update ipw2200-firmware (to try and update the firmware)
> >>    result: Could not find update match for ipw2200-firmware, No Packages
> >>    marked
> >>for Update/Obsoletion
> >>3. ran dmesg
> >>    result: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Drive , git-1.0.8
> >>            Copyright(c) 2003-2005 Intel Corporation
> >>4. Ran iwconfig
> >>    Result: lo: No wireless extensions
> >>            eth0: No wireless extensions
> >>            sit0: No wireless extensions
> >>5. Ran system-config-network
> >>    Under devices tab
> >>       1. Clicked new
> >>       2. Selected "Wireless Connection"
> >>    `  3. Click forward
> >>          Result: "Other Wireless Card" is the only selection in the
> >>          device list.
> >>       4. Selected Ethernet Connection"
> >>       5. Click forward
> >>          Result: Intel Corporate PRO/Wireless 2915ABG MiniPCI
> >>          Adapter(eth1),
> >>Broadcom Corporate BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (eth0) and Other Ethernet Card
> >>are
> >>listed in the device menu
> >>
> >>Can anyone tell me what Im missing to be able to get this to work?
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> >means that the firmware wasn't loaded
> >
> >check out
> >http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_fc5#how_to_get_wireless_working_Intel_IPW2200_b.2Cg
> >http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_fc5#NetworkManager_for_Gnome
> >--
>
> The first link was the same set of steps for updating the firmware and I
> did redo those steps just now thinking maybe I missed something and when
> I run ifup eth1 I get the following error:
>
> ipw2200 device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization
>
> They didn't tell me that I needed to set up the ifcfg-eth1 profile
> manually but I did that part anyway and still managed to get that error.
>
> dmesg confirms that the device has not loaded when running modprobe.
>
> Is there anything else that I can try?
I am unclear. Is there a ipw2200 module line in your modprobe.conf
file. Do you see that module loaded when you do a lsmod.
--
In the latest kernel under FC4 you had to have a line like:
options ipw2200 hwcrypto=0

One last thing which is to look into NetworkManager to configure you
nics rather than system-config-network.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University