Re: File System

Mark Haney wrote:
Ali Helmy wrote:
Quick Question: How can I get to know which file system is currently running on a partition?

--
A. Helmy
If it's mounted, just do a 'mount'. If it' s not, other than fdisk, I don't know.

mount is the best way, but a pedantic caution on fdisk: the magic number that fdisk reports is not actually anything to do with the filesystem on the partition itself. You could use fdisk to mark up a partition entry with some random magic number like for FAT32 but stick an ext3 filesystem there and that should mount fine. So the fdisk magic numbers are perhaps best viewed as someone's intention for that partition at some point in the past.

-Andy