Re: Ssh keys problem

Anne Wilson wrote:

OK - so something else, somewhere, must have been starting ssh-agent without those variables. I rebooted, and no longer get the messages I saw before. I am asked for the password, though, every time I transfer files. There doesn't seem to be a conf file where you can set the key to remain active for a specific time, as there is with gpg.

These are also good resources, if you'd like to learn more about the SSH agent:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-keyc2/
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/

I dislike keychain, personally, but if you find that it's secure *enough* for your environment, then it may be useful.

I prefer to use ssh keys with no passphrase, bound to a single command on the remote host using this syntax:

command="do something specific" ssh-rsa ....