Re: NVIDIA drivers working yet?

On 3/21/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> > I need to get the nvidia drivers installed on FC5.
> > Does anyone have this working yet?
> > I have kernel-devel installed and am trying to use the NVIDIA-8178 drivers from
> > nvidia.com but the build always fails.  There does not seem to be any drivers
> > at livna yet either.
> >
> > Anyone know how to get them in?
>
> You must wait a little while for an updated kernel (and in addition you
> must patch the nVidia driver shim sources).  The kernel that went out
> with FC5 has a symbol needed by the nVidia binary drivers mistakenly
> marked up as GPL-only.  Apparently a new kernel package is forthcoming
> as an update in the next few days.

You should also not use the installer from nVidia.  In addition to
needing to be patched, it installs in the wrong place since FC5 moved
to xorg 7.0.  You should use the RPMs from Livna when they come out.
There is a src.rpm available for the xorg driver, but the kernel
module does not appear to be there yet.  I assume this may be because
of the above problem with the release kernel.

Jonathan