Re: De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

On Monday 20 March 2006 15:16, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Hi, Mikkel.  I'm running testdisk at the moment, to see how much is
> > recoverable.  Originally it had a FAT32 partition at the beginning,
> > (Win98, at one time) and the extended partition shows up as FAT32, both,
> > seemingly, type Oc.  The first windows partition may not be recoverable,
> > by the look of it, and maybe some of the linux partitions inside the
> > extended partition. They are partitions that I don't care about anyway,
> > so it doesn't really matter.  When the intense search has finished I'll
> > tell it to mark for recovery all the bits it thinks it can recover, then
> > write a new partition table.  If that works fdisk should be able to see
> > the drive again, and I'll take it from there.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hi Anne,
>  Let me know how testdisk does. On drives that have been
> repartitioned a couple of times, it will sometimes find
> the 'old' partitions. This is because the signature for
> the old partition is still there. But it will usually show
> up as non-recoverable. But that is why the program asks
> for user input before trying to recover partitions. The
> user usually has an idea of how the drive was partitioned,
> and can make a better 'guess' about what partitions are
> valid.
>  The partition types for an extended partition and a FAT32
> partition are not the same. But that information was in the
> partition table, and that is gone. So what testdisk is going
> by is the 'signature'. But it sounds like it is finding more
> then one 'signature' for the same chunk of drive. This is
> because changing the partition table only affects a few sectors
> on the drive, and even formatting a partition does not erase
> most of the old data from the drive. Depending on the format,
> it will only overwrite the data when writing the FATs, or the
> Superblocks.

I'll report back.  The one bad thing about testdisk is that you can't return
to the previous screen.  I was just about to write the partition table when I
realised that there was a problem with the way I had typed one partition.  I
have had to start the intense search all over again - that's over an hour.

Anne