Re: Can't tell if I have been hacked :(

On 3/20/06, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Can you give me some input on whether I have been hacked or not?
>
> I logged into my machine via ssh and found that I couldn't run any
> commands and got a input/output error.  I couldn't run the who command
> to see if anyone else was logged into my machine and I couldn't check my
> firestarter log to see if I have been breached.
>
> I was able to run an ls -al and found that a lot of my permissions had
> ???? as the owner.  My gnome interface is pretty much disappeared and
> all I see is the background.  I can't shut down this machine because the
> halt and shutdown commands are not recognized (I get the same
> input/output error)
>
> Is it possible I have been hacked?
>
> If so how is this possible when I have set my firestarter firewall to
> only allow connections from a specific network address and to deny
> anyone else that tries to connect?
>
> Any input is helpful.

You say nothing about the FC release or other platform information;
yes it is entirely possible you were hacked but how likely were *you*
specifically a target -- more likely some other system or file system
error has occurred.

You probably need to reformat anyways -- just to be safe.

Cheers!
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/