Re: De-activate a swap partition - I don't believe it!

At 1:36 AM -0800 3/20/06, jdow wrote:
>From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>===8<---
>I saw that, but see below
>> can describe an unlimited number  of  parti-
>> tions.  In  sector  0 there is room for the description of 4 partitions
>> (called ?Äòprimary?Äô). One of these may be an extended partition; this  is
>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>'may be an extended partition' - does that mean it should be, or it could be?
>IOW, would you do it that way?
>===8<---
>
>I do not understand your question. Any single one of the basic four
>partitions can be an extended partition. This may be partition one, two,
>three, or four. Logical partitions are numbered 5 on up. The way these
>partitions work there seems to be no reason you cannot have a disk with
>four extended partitions other than "it doesn't make sense." One is quite
>sufficient.

This does not match my recollection that there can be at most one Extended
partition per table, and up to 4 Basic partitions (3 if an Extened
partition is used, as there can only be 4 partitons per table).  If more
partitions are needed, use 3 Basic and one Extended; if even more are
needed, have one of the Extended partition's 4 partitions be Extended, and
so on in a chain.

Linux can also use LVM, which is more flexible.