Re: Preparing for FC5

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 02:02:27PM +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> At 13:25 20/03/2006, you wrote:
>
> >Hey mates,
> >
> >So, in waiting for FC5, can someone walk me in to a step-by-step
> >procedure as to what to do in order to be able to install FC5 on my
> >laptop, and still maintain all my settings, files, programs, etc?
> >
> >Thank you
> >
> >--
> >A. Helmy
> >--
>
> What I do is:-
>
> tar everything in /home then copy the tar file somewhere very safe
> plus somewhere else very safe. Copy the tar file to a temporary
> folder maybe on another machine and make sure it unpacks OK.
>
> Next record for all users the user name and user ID (the number that
> starts at 500 for the first user added).
>
> Wipe the hard drive.
>
> Boot from install CD 1 and install the new OS. Don't add any users.
>
> yum -y update
>
> As root copy the tar file back onto your machine unpack it into /home
>
> Starting with user ID 500 and running through everybody in numerical
> order, re-create your list of users on the new installation. This
> will make all the file ownership attributes match the proper users.
> If you've got gaps in the order it should be possible to set the ID
> number manually.
>
> Get your users to put their passwords back in.
>
> Everything should now be as it was before, but running with the new OS.
>
> Dave F
I have several problems with the above recipe. First I would tar up at
least the following directories on the old machine:
/root - so root stuff can be saved.
/etc - so the important configuration files can be saved.
/home

Now when you install FC5:
1. after user accounts and passwds are created.
2. untar root using -k option so the new versions of the .gnome files
for example will not be overwritten
3. untar /home again using -k option for the same reason.
4. Untar /etc in /tmp and then you can copy configuration files as
needed into the new /etc directory.

If this is too sketchy to understand then ask further.

Eli and Bessie went to sleep.
In the middle of the night, Bessie nudged Eli.
	"Please be so kindly and close the window.  It's cold outside!"
Half asleep, Eli murmured,
	"Nu ... so if I'll close the window, will it be warm outside?"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484