Re: Sharing file systems

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 19 March 2006 12:41, Jeff Vian wrote:

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 17:30 +0530, Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:

HI
I have ubuntu 5.10 on my system and using FC3 since it was released.
I tried to install FC4 on my system by sharing the swap and /home
partition between FC4 and ubuntu. The installation went well. I did
not install KDE in FC4.
I was well aware of permission screw ups that this could lead to,
hence I did not create any user (The UID and GID of root is
preserved across Linux distros)

I booted in as root and created a new user with UID and GID same as
on ubuntu.
Now I booted in GNOME and it was completely configured!!!! Moreover
gaim started and signed me in to all my accounts!!! This was first
time login...

My question is that can is sharing /home okay for a long run or will
it lead to problems.
Also can other file systems like /usr be shared along with this and
if it can be  then under what restrictions??
If any one has done this please let me know.

AFAIK there should be no problems with sharing of /home. It is done
all the time by many of us.

You already took care of the issue of UID/GID values and that is the
only thing I have ever had problems with in sharing /home between
systems.

There is one caveat I'd toss out Jeff, and thats that the options for setting up a default ext3 system ARE different between FC stuffs, and debian stuffs. In my case, the exact same version number of e2fsck (1.35) refuses to pass or even check, the other installs ext3 filesystems. So dual booting between FC4 and debian 3.1r1 is at best a pita.

I'm next going to put Ubuntu-5.10 on that box in place of FC, so maybe that will be self healing.

i'm not sure, 'cuase i've never done this, but if the gnome versions are different, there may be some gnome/nautilus issues if one config overwrites/changes things and the other can't handle the changes.

--
Anthony

My Website: http://messinet.com
My Online Gallery: http://messinet.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=visit&lid=3