Formatting HDD

I am fed up with internet malware and have been told that a Linux-based program gets little or none.
I loaded the complete DVD of Fedora Core 4 on my old Fujitsu laptop. It went smoothly. The HDD is 10Gb and FC4 loaded about 5Gb!

Most of it is superfluous to my requirements. I intend using FC4 on the laptop as the only internet-facing computer in my 3-computer network until I become more comfortable with FC4. Who knows, I'd eventually like to completely migrate away from the evil empire (Microsoft).

My questions:
1. How do I format the HDD so I can start with a fresh and minimal installation.
2. I only want to access the internet, use Fedora's version of Outlook as an email client, use Fedora's 'Word' program, and use Adobe Reader.

Your help would be appreciated.
TIA,
Horse

--