Re: how to restrict the access to certain web applications within the local network

Ankush Grover wrote:
hey friends,

 I want to restrict the access to certain web applications within the local
network for example ntop.The ntop is accessible for everyone. I want to
restrict the access to ntop

for example http://cluster2.sun.net:3000 on which ntop works

I want to restrict the access to the above url for certain users and for
certain pcs(within in my local network)

There are few other applications which works like this CVSManager.

Thanks & Regards

Ankush Grover

ntop can do this itself. Read the FAQ which comes with it. You can restrict any page to access by specific users. From the FAQ:

Q. So, How do I restrict access to the main http or https ntop web page?
A. To stop everyone from logging into ntop, do the following:
   Select ADMIN tab
   Select URL's then "Add Url"
   Don't fill in anything (the wildcard * is implied)
   Select only the users who you want to authorize (hold control key and
   click on user to add more users if you added users)

   and click on "Add Url"

   You will see URL '*' is added, e.g.

     'showU*'
     '*'
     'shutdown*'
     'deleteU*'
     'modifyU*'

   Then only users who know the user id and password (remember to keep the .db
   file secure!) will have access.

And/or you can restrict which hosts can access which ports using the firewall.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555